24.6.11

An aside, or: a note on cinephilia




-

Since it is sure of its ability to control the entire domain of the visible and the audible via the laws governing commercial circulation and democratic communication, Empire no longer censures anything. All art, and all thought, is ruined when we accept this permission to consume, to communicate and to enjoy. We should become the pitiless censors of ourselves.

It is better to do nothing than to contribute to the invention of formal ways of rendering visible that which Empire already recognizes as existent.

--#14 & #15 of Alain Badiou's Fifteen Theses on Contemporary Art. Ever valid.

2 comments:

Just Another Film Buff said...

Although I generally tend to like the new brand of cinephilia to an extent, I should admit that sometimes I'm frustrated by the self-indulgence and closed-nature it breeds: Ceaseless canon chasing, DVD counts, list hoarding. The more accessible films become, counter-intuitively, the more cinephilia seems to be occupying itself with catching up. The ritualism of older arts is still too strong. Film love as an end in itself is definitely scary. (Truffaut's "Film Lovers Are Sick People" sounds less and less tongue-in-cheek to me with every passing year). Sometimes I think a culture where only less films could be seen, but where a more sustained and meaningful engagement with both the film and consequently the world could take place, is not all that bad.

I do realize, though, that I'm as culpable as the other person on the internet. And this I guess really prevents me from disowning this new strand of cinephilia altogether.

Regards.

Matthew Flanagan said...

John Maus: 'But it seems to me there's this kind of automatic speaking that's encouraged that leaves no room for the necessity required to really say anything. We just end up saying what is and not saying what's not yet...'